Monday, October 26, 2009

Mama

It is 8:30 pm, and I am SOooo ready for bed! Daddy got me up at 4:30 am this morning...when most folks are still enjoying their deep sleep! An hour later, my parents and I were on our way to the hospital for Mama's mastectomy.

I made the 2 hour trip home after church yesterday. It was strange being at "home" without my hubby and boys. Just Mama, Daddy and myself. As we chatted at supper, the laughter grew, stories were shared, and we talked about her upcoming surgery. We discussed all that we knew, and I pondered questions that I wanted answered--that neither of my parents had asked the surgeon.

I gave Mama a beautiful yellow prayer shawl that our church's prayer ministry had made just for her! Her eyes lit up, and she just glowed! Just lovely! We finished packing and then started the joking and had more stories. Then...the boobie jokes began! Y'all, we were all laughing so hard! It reminded me of the scene from "Steel Magnolias" where the family is playing cards the night before Julia Roberts' and Sally Fields' surgery--the kidney transplant. That, my friends, is how we were! No sadness or regret...just peace and joy!

This morning, as we waited to be admitted, another couple came in the waiting room. The man smiled and waved at Daddy. The lady looked familiar, but I couldn't place her face. When Daddy called the man's name, I realized who the lady was. Y'all, she was my art teacher from high school!!!!!! She remembered me, and we hugged and squealed at 5:45 am! It's been a LONG time since I took art from her! A very long time!

After Mama was finally taken into surgery, my sister who had arrived began to lighten things up even more. When we all get together...watch out! Some poor man who was in the waiting room with us....in close proximity...kept falling asleep and snoring! After the third time, sweet sister whipped out her cell phone and took his picture! We started laughing again! My parent's preacher was also there by this time, and I know she thought we had lost our looney minds! But you know how it is once you get going?? You can't stop the laughter!

The call came that Mama was out of surgery, and everything was good. The doctor removed all that needed to be and then some. By the time that we got to her room, she was waking up and feeling good. The anesthesia did not make her sick--praise! She was just thirsty and hungry! Bless her heart....she had not eaten or had anything to drink in almost 12 hours! Talk about dehydration!

When I finally left the hospital for home, she and Daddy were talking and laughing. He was holding her hand and smiling at her with all of the love that they've shared for over 56 years. Beautiful. God is still in the business of miracles. I witnessed one today. This is an 81 year old woman who has been on insulin for diabetes for over 60 years. That in itself is amazing according to the doctors. She suffered a stroke 10 years ago and had to relearn to walk and write and count money. God is SOoo good. He still has plans for her.(Jeremiah 33:11) She still has work to do for Him. As do I.

My friends who rode to Texas last Sunday are back home in Greenville. I chatted with Robin for a minute tonight. She is simply exhausted...physically and emotionally after a 1200 mile bike ride. We're going to have lunch this week to talk about her trip and how God was right there beside them. I can't wait!

It's time to wash my face and go to bed, people! I am falling asleep as I type! Hope it makes sense! Thank you for your prayers! Please don't stop....we are not quite finished yet!

Sweet Blessings!

11 comments:

Laura said...

your mom sounds like a miracle many times over! I'm so glad the surgery went well. will say a prayer for her recovery. I have to say, I think your family's positive attitude made a huge difference (and prayer too!) You are the family that I want waiting on me if i'm having a procedure done!

sweet dreams...

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Beautiful post! I am so happy to hear that the surgery went well. I know your mom must be a very special lady. I will continue to pray for her and your family. What blessing to laugh and enjoy each other in hard times. Praise God!

KelliGirl said...

Oh, Susan, I'm so happy things went well today. Your mama was surrounded by such an outpouring of love today. What a testimony to a life well-lived and loved. It sounds like you have one awesome family. Praying for your mom's continuing recovery.

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Susan,
I will be keeping your mom in prayer. Her attitude will keep her healthy in ways beyond the physical. What a wonderful family!
Susan

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Praising God as I read tonight. So glad surgery seemed to go well. Yay, God!

PotterMama said...

Yes! God is Great! Im so happy your mom made it through and is doing great. Now I can pray she has a FULL recovery! =-)

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Glad your sweet Mama is home and well. I had a 4:30 am morning last week too when I took daughter for her Dr appt. in FL. I know the exhaustion that you are feeling. It took me about a week to get over it. Your Mama and Daddy sound like the sweetest things, and I am sure they are. What a lovely example of what God intended for marriage to be. I will continue to pray for quick healing. I don't know how anyone could snore in the waiting room. I tried to get comfy last week and rest a little and couldn't. I told my daughter they need cots when you come that early. Have a blessed, restful and wonderful week! Jackie

Kelly said...

Susan, that was the sweetest picture of love I have ever seen. My family of origin (parents)are very dysfunctional, so to see a healthy family and the love just made my day. May you realize the huge blessing of love your family has and has passed on to you. God bless you all.

LisaShaw said...

Your Mom is one special lady! God's Hand is on her life for sure! My love and prayers are with you all.

Thank you for sharing this very precious woman, your Mamma and all the joy that obviously surrounds her.

My prayers remain for her.

Lots of love.

Gotta Run..... said...

So great talking to you last night. Blessed that your mom is doing well. Laughter and Love are powerful things to help us heal.

Thanks again for coming out to see us off for our trip. What a wonderful friend you are!!!

Train Up a Child -- Encouragement for Moms said...

People who have never been through this journey may wonder how we can cut up and laugh during such a struggle, especially those who are not Christians.

Thank you, God, for the gift of laughter, for being able to see humor, and for giving undescribable peace.

Kristy