Monday, June 1, 2009

Perception Deception

Happy Monday, ya'll! I know that it's been a week since I last posted, but things are winding down at our house, and school is officially over on Thursday! And, I am subbing the last day of school! I'll try to catch up on my reading of your blogs this week--can't wait to see what you all have been up to!

Last week, I was taking a pilates class where I work out. I recognized a girl in there that I had not seen in quite a while. She introduced me to her husband as "the girl who runs all the time!" Now, I do NOT run all the time. I take days off whenever I want to! But, it made me think about how she perceived me. I knew her from swim team, and yes, I would usually run while the boys practiced. I guess we had never sat down and chatted. She never got to know the real me...the one who loves Jesus and wants to look more like Him each day. I hope that when I die, other people will remember things about me other than that I ran! So, I started thinking about that!

As for God, His way is perfect;the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect." Psalm 18:30-32

It is not my way that is perfect, but HIS WAY. Oh, I want it to be mine! Knowing this, I am really working on submission--you know, the "s" word-- right now! I am trying to be submissive to God and to my Hubby. At home, I am really struggling with the budget! Hubby has worked long and hard on this, and it is working. But I'm the part of the puzzle that makes it work. Y'all, I am selfish! I know what I want to spend my money from subbing on--a new camera! But, it is a "want"--not a "need." I struggle. Each paycheck, I struggle. But, my little extra $$ helps with things that our family "needs."I am thankful for that. Then, I struggle with that Quiet Time each day. I know that God desires to spend uninterrupted time with me each day so that HE can reveal Himself to me. And, I LOVE this time. But it doesn't always fit into my schedule. So, I have God on a time frame. I have once again put my Savior into my planner and not allowed His perfect plan and timing to occur! I hate when I do that! This scripture says that He is the one who give me strength--it doesn't come on my own accord! I am weak, and He is strong! Look at the last little part of these beautiful words. HE makes my way perfect. I can't do it! I don't know how, but He does!

I would hope that if I had the opportunity to sit down with this gal, she might find out that I have a heart for God. That He is my Lord and Savior! That I desire Him above all. That His plans are perfect, and I wait to hear from Him before I act (I really do!!). That I work with Him and not for Him because He lives in my heart. I am working on these areas of my life each day. Praise Him, I can start afresh each morning! Thank goodness He takes the yucky stuff and washes it away when I give it to Him. Oh, I love Him so!

What do people think of when they see you? How do they describe you to others? Just a thought for this gorgeous day! Enjoy!

Blessings!

13 comments:

Kimberly said...

That is an excellent thought, friend! One worth chewing on for sure! I need to think about what it is I really want people to see and if how I live matches up with that.

And I love what you say about working with Him and not for Him. That right there alone is something to really think on!

You shine for Him, Susan! You really do. Sweet blessings as He continues to work in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. :)

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Wow! I love this post. Very Powerful.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I can't even begin to imagine what they see or think! I have a rough guess...

You and I are going to have a blast when you get up here! Then you can see the real me in real action and make a more accurate assessment. As if I didn't already love you, I love you even more after our phone conversation today. Tell hubby not to worry--we'll take good care of you!

peace~elaine

seesawfaith said...

Hummm...I am pretty sure most people see a pretty pleasant person who is happy and enjoying life and her family.

Of course, they don't live in my house and see me frustrated, worn-out, overwhelmed, or discontent. I'm not always like that, but it is my family who gets the dis-privilege of seeing me in those times.

If I could change anything, it would be the fact that I am not always gentle and quiet. I wish I could quietly handle whatever I am going through, but I am a wee bit emotional. And loud.

I just love the self-evaluation that your writing inspires. Thanks so much for posting.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Oh, Susan...I would love to take on a 1/2 marathon! How do I get there?! Seems like I can barely finish a 5K! I still need to call you to get some advice on a few things. I have good intentions to pick up the phone...and I don't know where the day goes. I know you can totally relate to that. I would love. love. love to meet at a race, someday! How great would that be?!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Susan, thanks for stopping by today! My camera is a Canon Powershot A570IS. It's been a good little camera. But, if I was buying a new one, I'd get one like Kim at Daisy Cottage has: Canon G9 (or new one is G10, I think). She takes some great pics with that one!

christy rose said...

Susan,
I completely agree that sometimes it is hard to submit and let go of the way that I think I should go about getting what I want because I am afraid that I won't get it if I don't. But then God reminds me that He wants to bless me and give me the desires of my heart and if I trust Him, He will provide for me even the little things that make me happy. It is easy to trust Him if I think He likes to make me happy the way I like to make my kids happy by getting them the things that they want but if I feel like He is just thinking that I need to learn to do without and just be happy without the things that I want, then trusting Him is hard. Contentment is actually gained when I know God loves me and will give me the desires of my heart. I can truly be satisfied and content and rest in His ways when I know that God is moving on my behalf to bring to pass what I have asked Him for because He wants to.
Thanks for this wonderful reminder.
Christy

Yolanda said...

I'm not sure what they see either, but I wanted to get real with you, that the last 5 days I've fallen short on my time with God. For the first time in my adult life, both hubs and I helped with VBS. Taking 3 1/2 hours for 5 nights in a row making for one sleepy woman in the mornings. I pray that God will not be disapointed with me, and I'm thankful that this morning, I got a do-over.

Love to you!

Sharon Sloan said...

Susan...
you are so sweet. Quite honestly, I'd like to be perceived as the girl who even runs a little. I don't run at all -- except up and down the stairs doing laundry! :) Smiles.

I do hope you and she can sit down and get to know each other. It's a treasure when you have a trustworthy friend with whom you can be transparent. It brings depth to the relationship.

He loves you and understands your motives and thoughts. :)

Love you!

1 Chronicles 28:9 -- "...acknowledge the God of your father, and serve Him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will be found by you."

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Those are awesome thoughts for the day, and I am thankful that you reminded us of this. I have been thinking a lot about that lately what do others see me as, or how should I be spending my time. I too struggle with the submission thing, but this year I felt God prompting me to save my sub pay, and that was very hard for me, but I was able to do that, and I think it was encouraging for my husband. I think I am very selfish person too, and that is an area in which I need to be submissive. God definitely blesses submission. Have a great week. Jackie

Edie said...

That's a wonderful thought Susan! He makes my way perfect. I had not noticed that part til now. He DOES make my way perfect. He did that today as He orchestrated my circumstances. He is an Awesome God!

Kristen said...

This whole post hit me right square between the eyes! And in the heart. Being in the real estate biz, it's been a tough go the last 9 months. Things are recovering here a bit in Indy and we are busy. A "want" I have is new patio furniture. It's not a need, but a want. I find it interesting that now that the times are getting better I am wanting to spend money. Hmmmm... winter is just around the corner and the real estate market can be so unpredictable. I struggle with wanting this furniture and knowing it's not a need. God give me discernment.

I too want to be known as a woman after God's own heart. A Christian... and I am sure that isn't always what people think of me. I want to be more than that girl who rides her bike a lot of miles, or a realtor etc. I want them to see Jesus!

Have a wonderful summer my friend! I see you as a woman after God's heart!

Joyful said...

Sweet Susan, you might be the girl who runs, but it is so obvious who your unseen running companion is - Jesus. Your life just reflects Him so beautifully.

I am just finishing reading the book "The Noticer" by Andy Andrews. It too talks all about perception.

Going to think on your questions. Not sure I'll like the answers :) So thankful God isn't finished with me yet!

Hugs,
Joy