Monday, February 16, 2009

Angelina Jolie Lips

On Friday, as I was getting ready to substitute, I suddenly realized that something wasn't quite right. Something in my tummy was going on! Hours later, never making it to work and back in the bed, I finally gave up on trying to be strong and fight this virus which obviously had a grip on me! So, I SLEPT! In the middle of the day! Not even sleep from exercise induced exhaustion...just chills from a fever that were part of the goody bag of a virus that's been going around. When I finally woke up, I had my quiet time. I've been reading from Oswald Chamber's book, My Utmost for His Highest. The devotional was discussing how to be devoted to hearing God. (If you have the book, read February 13.) It was absolutely wonderful. I looked up devotion in Webster's --I had PLENTY of time y'all! It said that devotion is defined as 1) religious fervor: Piety-an act of prayer or supplication. Also, 2) love or affection. I started thinking in my befuddled state of mind. Do I go to the Lord each day with religious fervor? Do I consistently show Him love and affection?

Chambers went on to say that what hinders him from hearing God is his attention to other things! Imagine that! They are good things...family, friends, church, work, or your own convictions. He says, " It's not that I don't want to hear God, but I am not devoted to the right areas of my life. The attitude of a child of God should be that spoken by Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:10. 'Speak, for your servant hears.' ."

If I haven't developed and nurtured this devotion of hearing, I can only hear God's voice at certain times. Have I become deaf to my Lord and Savior who died and gave His life for me? Am I too busy focusing on the important things of the world so that I miss the small whisper of God?

Because I felt so yucky, I didn't leave the house for two days. I had the time to focus on God and His Word. I just don't like having to be sick to make me slow down and do this. This morning, during my QT, I was convicted again!!! In Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, the devotional for Feb. 16 reads that I should thank Him for conditions that require me to be still! Do not spoil these times by wishing them away, waiting impatiently to be active again. Some of the greatest works of His kingdom have been done from sick beds...although you feel cut off from the activity of the world, your quiet trust makes a powerful statement in spiritual realms. God's strength and power show themselves most effective in weakness. (Isaiah 30:15, 2 Cor. 12:9)

Ok! I've got it! Granted it took a virus t slow me down to see how He desires me to be devoted to hearing Him and to thank Him for it! I'm not a dumb bunny, I've got it! I won't forget this lesson from above! No one likes being sick and having to stop their regular routine. Mine actually went a tad further. During the night on Friday, my bottom lip began to swell. By Saturday morning, it had quadrupled in size! It looked like Angelina Jolie's lip! But only the bottom lip! Oh, it hurt and ached! It was the weirdest thing ever! Because of my lovely protruding lip, I chose to stay at home and not go to child #2's church basketball game! Vanity!! Also, I still felt blah! But the lip! It's funny now, and I wish that I had taken a picture! I'm sure that it was a by-product of the virus, but totally weird!

A virus, a big lip, and Valentine's Day '09 will be forever etched into my heart as a reminder to be devoted to hearing my God. He always hears me; I need to be devoted to hearing Him.

Many blessings,

15 comments:

Yolanda said...

I love how God gets our attention, when we get so busy with our self.

I'm sorry it was a virus, but I'm so thankful for the rich rewards that came from it...the fruit.

Lovingly,
Yolanda

Teresa said...

Susan!
Wonderful reminder to listen-really listen..I love Oswald Chambers!!

Praying you are all better and got a good run in this morning!

Blessings!
Teresa

Gotta Run..... said...

I don't know whether to laugh or feel bad for you?! Poor thing. As you would say.... bless your heart!!

So I am guessing no 8 miler with me today? Maybe next week.

Sharon Sloan said...

Susan: I, too, loved today's Jesus Calling devotion (so glad you like this book!). I am on my second year through the book. In today's devotion in 2008 I wrote "Mom -hip replacement surgery". God had placed this devotion on the right day for her, too! I had given her Jesus Calling right before her surgery. Then, I got to read this to her as she lay in the recovery bed in the hospital. He is so good!

I don't think any of us would choose a sick bed, but He is so faithful to give us our portion, even there.

Glad you are feeling better! And I hope your Angelina lip is better...or at least that the top lip swelled up, too! :)

BECKY said...

Good morning Susan!! So Glad you're feeling better!!

I adore Oswald Chambers and it delights my soul to hear that your using his devotional!! Someone gave me mine in 1991 and I have used it most the years since then!!

I think devotionals usually have a "theme" and some time ago I found the theme to his: Constant Commitment. I wrote it on the inside of the cover.

You know about that since you're a runner. You could really injure yourself if you didn't run regularly, and have that discipline. It's the same way with God. We may not always have the fervor He desires us to have, but there is something to be said for the discipline of constant commitment.

This is a truth He continues to impress on my heart...thankfully, He doesn't stop when I get a little off track!

I so love this post, and am so glad to have met you!!

Thank you for sharing from your heart!

Have a great week!!
Blessings,
BEcky

Kelly said...

I glad you're feeling better, but I would have loved to see that lip (evil laughter). Ah, I mean, I'm glad your lip is better. :-)

More importantly, how great is our God that he always brings us back to him, never wanting any of his sheep to be lost.

Paula V said...

I don't have that devo but have heard it's highly recommended. I have the Streams in a Desert and it's good...it's edited by Chambers' wife.

Odd about your lip. I'm impressed with your reading and "doing" while sick. Man I can't even open my Bible when I'm sick. I muddle some begging prayers to God to heal my pathetic whimpy body.

I feel the conviction. I was just praying in the bathroom that the reason my Monday is going so bad is because I'm not giving Him enough time in the morning! I think morning is key...to set my day but it's hard to do much in the a.m. except read a chapter in the Word.

I'm listening Lord....I hear ya now....

Love ya,
Paula

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry that you didnt feel well but Im so glad that you are a better dear person because of it. God does have a way to stop us in our tracks and speak to our heart. Hope things are looking up for you and that lip is better,hehe. Take care

On Purpose said...

Thank you for these precious "real" words today. My heart is hearing them and needs to apply them!

Kristen said...

Oh I am so glad you are feeling better.. and hope that Angelina Jolie lip has gone down. Poor girl!

I am reminded by Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Yes even the flu! We need to have that alone time with God to truly hear Him. My blog post about prayer today focused on that alone time!

Glad you are on the mend... hope you can get out on that road and run soon!
Love,
K

Wendy Blight said...

Susan, thank you for the precious reminder to slow down. I need that because so many days I grab my devotion, read it, and check it off my to do list rather than sit and soak in the words put before my eyes.

I know the Lord so desires me to sit with Him, to listen for His voice. Thank you, thank you. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and sit and soak in Him.

Blessings,

Wendy

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great post and reminder to listen!
-sandy toe

CMB said...

We just had similar discussion about listening to God at the dinner table tonight! Hope you are feeling better...some people actually pay $$ for the Angelina lips! :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Gracious...where's the picture to go with the big lip? Hope you're on the mend by now. You quoted from two of my favorites...

Chambers' "My Utmost" and Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling."

I'm using Sarah's new book this year along with Spurgeon. I also read Chambers on a regular basis. It's funny how such a small devotional packs such a profound punch. I always try and look up the corresponding scriptures for context and further contemplation.

Anyway, while routine is my favorite, I've had to pause and allow its interruption in huge ways over the past few weeks. Not all bad, friend.

peace to you~elaine

KelliGirl said...

Susan,
Glad you're feeling better. I hope your lip is better, too. :-(

I'm reading Utmost for His Highest and am right around the sections you've been reading. I have been blown away by Oswald Chambers' words. So wise and convicting. They offer little room to hide or rest in "goodness" of our past actions. Always challenging us to give up more of ourselves to receive more of Him.

I pray you step deeper into the wonderful plan God's set before you!

Blessings and prayers, my friend.
Kelli