Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm Back!! For Real!

Happy Saturday! Our computer was finally cured of its virus on Thursday afternoon. Praise the Lord!! And I truly mean that! It has been out of commission for almost a month. I have not had the opportunity to visit your wonderful blogs--unless it was after ten each night, and child #1 wasn't working on his AP Biology or something hard that mama can't help him with anymore. It was so easy when we were just sounding out words and matching patterns...gone are those days. If you are there, enjoy each glorious moment 'cause it only gets harder!!

Thanks for your continued prayers and calls and cards! Bloggy friends are the best!! I just love y'all!! :). Today is Mama's birthday, and she had a very busy and fun day. I want something like that when I turn 82!

I completed thank you notes today from our family to those who sent flowers and food and other things. It is such a joy to share God's love through these little notes. I saved the hardest ones for last though. As I wrote, I cried and missed my daddy some more. Lots of hugs and support though from Hubby. And I know, this is normal. It's just part of the grieving process. I'm just thankful I have such a great support group in my family and friends. What a blessing.

I officially began training for a marathon this week. Not sure which one! Marci, I had mentioned Little Rock a post or two back. Then, we ALL realized that it's only 8 weeks away! None of us were where we needed to be mileage-wise to attempt that one. Not this year, but I will run it at some point! It just sounds too cool! I'll let you know. We are seriously thinking about the Flying Pig Marathon in Cinn., Ohio in early May. That gives us over 100 days to train!! Having a focus right now is very good for me :).

As my sweet friend Phebe and I ran this morning in weather in the teens--and I know that's NOTHING compared to what some of y'all have right now! Mercy, it's cold out there!! Oops, didn't finish that first thought--imagine that! Phebe and I had great conversations. It took our minds off the cold--really! I promise! Phebe has a great faith, and I love to talk to her about things in the Bible. I completely forgot to tell her that I have started reading through the Bible with Wendy Pope from Proverbs 31! I have been faithful in my reading although I couldn't post my comments with the other girls taking this! But, now I can.

I've read and been reminded of many great stories and truths this past week. One that really hit me was the fact that the people gave God different names for different reasons. In Genesis, Hagar called God "El Roi," which means "God sees. " This past summer when I attended She Speaks in Charlotte, I received a name of God that had been prayed over just for me. The name was Jehovah Jireh which means "God will provide." I didn't think about it too much until this New Year's Eve. I received a precious comment on my blog from Wendy Blight--who is so sweet! She wrote this: "I pray now that Jehovah Jireh will provide for you and your family's every need. For all the times you have given so freely, I pray the Lord blesses you tenfold. Praying for strength and peace." Notice the name for God that she used...Jehovah Jireh! God's timing is so perfect! This name didn't make sense to me until the last day of the year when Wendy used it to bless me. Y'all, God will provide if we ask Him and let Him. Isn't this just awesome?

If you've ever researched the names of God, which one truly touches your heart? Why? I would love to hear! Thanks for sharing your precious thoughts with me. I hope to visit your blogs over the next few days to catch up on what you have been up to. Stay warm, y'all!


Sweet Blessings,
Susan--Yep, I accidentally deleted the name box again!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back Susan! We've missed your sweet voice.

My husband is training for his marathon. He's using a book that guides you through the prep, but if you have any great tips for me to pass on, let me know. I worry about him a little. I don't think he eats enough, but what do I know?

I have decided to read the Bible through this year too. Originally I wasn't going to, but then I remembered that really the years I've had the best quiet times were when those quiet times were based on reading through the Bible. Such a great way to get literally ALL OF IT in.

Blessings to you. Glad your mom had a great day. I know that has been one of those milestones that every widow has to go through. God bless her.
Love,
Kay

Debbie Petras said...

Elaine had shared about your dad and I was so sorry for your loss Susan. It's amazing how God meets us in our need. He is your Jehovah Jireh. So glad to see you back blogging. Welcome back to our bloggy world.

Blessings,
Debbie

Beth E. said...

Welcome back! After experiencing a nasty computer virus last Fall, I know what it's like to finally have your own computer back where it belongs!

I'm continuing to pray for you and your family. I don't care how old we are, it's always difficult to lose our parents.

Jehovah Jireh is name of God that means so much to me. A couple of years ago, my husband was without a job. For six months, he looked for another one. During that time, we paid every bill. We had food, we had clothing, we had our home. Our oldest son was able to stay in college. Time and again, whenever there was a specific financial challenge, we would receive a monetary gift from someone. Our pharmacist GAVE us our medications. Jehovah Jireh provided for every need back then, and He still does today. That name will always be precious to me.

Hugs,
Beth

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Yay! I am so glad you are back. I started my journey through the One Year Bible. I am learning to love the Old Testament.
Okay, if not the LR Marathon, this year...than next. Wonder if I could be ready by then to run along side of you. I am started my training to conquer a 10K...that's a long way from 26 miles. :)
And...I pulled a muscle in my back and had to rest it 6 weeks. So needless to say, it's hard to get back in the swing of things. However, God is good and I have my running shoes back on. :)

Danielle said...

Hey girl! So glad you're back! Missed you around here.

Until SSpeaks, I'd never really thought about the names of God, at least, not like I have since July.

The name I received was Jehovah Makaddishkem. It means 'The LORD who sanctifies'. I really needed to hear it when I did, and I need to be reminded of it sometimes still.

Ginger said...

Hi Susan,

So glad to see you back again. Missed you and continuing to pray for you each day. Like you, I still miss my daddy...feels like he should still be here. The great blessing in all this is that we will be with them again someday.

Congratulations to your precious mother on her 82nd birthday. What a milestone! I'm so happy that it was such a wonderful day for her. Blessings to you and your family. God is so good!

Love and Hugs,
Ginger

Empty Nest Full Life said...

So glad the computer woes are over. So glad your Mom had a wonderful birthday. Girl it is COLD here too! and we are way down south here. My daughter is even freezing in FLA. Got to get with the exercise routine again. I have been subbing almost everyday since school started back. Already have 2 days this week. Starting a new Bible study tomorrow night. Beth Moores revised study on the tabernacle. Looking forward to it. Hope you have a wonderful week. Jackie

Vickie said...

Hi Susan glad to see you are back. I too have been without my computer for just about a year, and sometimes was able to blog puttering on the old one that I had to restore to factory settings almost once a week to get it work. But thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph. He just provided a new one over the last couple days so I'm back as well.

I will say Jehovah Jireh on behalf of my family. My husband has been out of work for almost two years and God has absolutely been amazing in His provision for my family. Even in hard times we've continued to honor Him and obey His word and He has proven Himself over and over and over again.

Blessings,
Vickie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Excuse me other readers why I leave my technologically challenged friend a verse she's been asking for, but for whatever reason, can't find the e-mail I sent to her regarding it:

Romans 2:20...

"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse."

Now, back to your post. It depresses me to hear about your running. Yes, I'm a bit envious, but I'll pray about that later. Wish I had it in me, girl.

As for the names of God, there are many. But one in particular (and I'm not even sure there is an "official" name given to this characteristic of God) comes from Proverbs 3:25-26:

"Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared."

The Lord is my CONFIDENCE!

Walking in the CONFIDENCE today.

peace~elaine

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Welcome back Susan. It's about time! You have been missed.

The name of God for me is Adonai, God is my strength. It is the word for God that was given to me when I was at She Speaks a few years ago. Another God-moment.

Sure wish it was in my finances to go again this year. Praying for a miracle.

Hugs friend!

On Purpose said...

What a joy you are! Praying and knowing that all is in Him.

Paula V said...

You're too funny and cute.
Welcome Back!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
seesawfaith said...

Your question actually inspired me to write a post about my name for God in my own blog. please feel free to check it out:

www.focused-on-the-center.blogspot.com

I am in the process of changing the way I view food and health. Through the First Place program I am starting to get some right thinking going. As I try to become healthier, and this is crazy (you'd know that if you knew who was about to say this) but I have actually started having the idea to do some kind of running.

I haven't really ever gone above a brisk walk, seeing as I have never been on fire or chased by a swarm of bees.

If you could offer one hint to someone that might be interested in picking up the pace, what would it be?

Thanks so much for your post. It got me thinking about my God, and that is always a good thing to do.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

So good to have you back Susan! You make me want to put on my shoes and run...like no bodies business...hehe~

LeeBird3 said...

The hats are still here...

I love you!