Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It's OK to Fail!

Have you ever pondered the question why God might want us to fail? We live in a society where success is everything. We tell our children from early on how great they are, what a good job they've done, etc. We do this to build their self-esteem and confidence. There's nothing wrong with being confident.....but in what and in whom?

The Bible study we're doing that I mentioned last week, The Seven Hardest Things God Asks a Woman to Do by Kathie Reimer and Lisa Whittle, discussed " fail vs.succeed" this morning. And let me tell you, it was a lively discussion!

God wants us to fail so we can realize that it's not about "me" and what "I can do". It's about Him. "Our Weakness is actually his most effective tool in using us for His glory and honor." In order to succeed, we have to fail first...to fall down on our knees and confess to our Father that "I can't do it alone! It's too hard! " Once we do this, we invite Him in to help us succeed--through His grace.

When we are discouraged from our weakness and disillusionment of what we think we can/can't do, we need to focus on this scripture.

"This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD. 'Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message.' So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." Jeremiah 18:1-4

Are we allowing the Potter to shape us into the form that seems best to Him or to us? I mentioned in an earlier post that I had been praying for a while about taking a leap of faith in starting a little business with painting and photography. I've struggled with God on some aspects of this. All weekend long, my head was full of ideas, ideas, and more ideas! It was one of those times when you wake up thinking and can't go back to sleep! I am not a fan of that! I love my sleep!

Yesterday morning, while trying to have my quiet time, "stuff" simply kept popping into my head, and I couldn't shake it or focus on God! I finally closed my Bible and asked Him if these ideas were from Him and if so, did He want me to follow up on them. Once I asked Him this, my heart was at a peace (Phil. 4:6-7) that only He could provide! I was calm! I knew in my heart that His timing was now...He would be with me in order to succeed and not to fail. I had to wait on Him and trust in His ways, not mine. In the past, I've failed on following through with ideas. This time, I was trusting in One who is Holy and Perfect.

In the past 12 hours, I have FINALLY shown my work to several friends, and their reactions have been so encouraging! I have several orders already! I am really excited! But, I know it was His timing and His desire that I follow up on this dream. In order to glorify Him, I need to remember that I am His clay.

Many Blessings,

11 comments:

Yolanda said...

This gives me breathing room, Friend. I actually had a woman share last week in our small group for Esther, that she is praying for our President to fail, so he will lean on God. I've pondered that one.

Love to you,
Yolanda

PS: Care to give me a glimpse?

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

YES...run with it! God stirs our hearts with his thoughts and creativity. Use it to his glory. Step out in faith and see where it leads. Don't wait to have it all together before you do. Some of my most creative ideas for writing come to me in my quiet time, in my night time, in the middle of my sleep time. If I don't "act" on them, I miss them.

Today is the day, friend. Go for it, and when you've got some product for sale...

LET ME KNOW!

peace~elaine

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Orders for what? I want some.

~elaine

Kelley said...

I can't tell you how the enemy has used the fear of failure to keep me from even attempting to do things. I know it's true that we learn more from failure than success but boy it is not easy to put yourself out there....Good for you not to let the enemy win!!

Kelly said...

I am "reading the Bible in a year." I got 5 days behind - which is like 9 chapters...in Job. It was hard reading and I could feel myself skimming, so I stopped and prayed. I started again, and not only finished my 9 chapters, but read ahead 4 more! Suddenly the text that had been unengaging was very engaging to me. All because of God.

Relating to your words today!

KelliGirl said...

Susan,
Congrats on selling some of your work! I hope you post some of your pics here, so we can see them.

I loved how you paused to listen to God, despite the plans and intentions whirling around your mind. Thanks for the example!

I pray for much success as you get your business of the ground. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

The Patterson 5 said...

How very exciting! God has you on an adventure that His hand is driving! I pray you will go forward as God leads and success will come no matter the outcome of your business b/c God is in it. He has plans for you to do!

Joyful said...

Susan, you so totally bless me with your heart for God. If He has given you His green light, then Go girl!!! It's so exciting. He gives us the desires of our heart, making His desires our desires. You are following Him and when you commit your ways to the Lord, your plans will succeed (Proverbs 16:3). That does't mean the way will be perfectly smooth, but in the end things will work out for your good and His glory.

So excited for you. Please share what it is you're selling. Inquiry minds want to know :o)

Love, prayers and hugs,
Joy

Laura said...

Hello, friend! I see you at all my bloggy friends comment boxes, so I wanted to come and "meet" you. Glad I did.

I read this book last year and enjoyed it. I remember wishing that I was doing it with other women so we could discuss. Glad you all are enjoying it.

How wonderful that God is stirring something new in you. What an exciting time. I'm with the others...please share!

Happy to meet you,

Laura

Carol said...

What a great post. I've been wanting to read that book. I actually found it before the Behind the Eyes book we did.

I've had those running constant thoughts can't quiet myself. I honestly can say it never occured to me to ask God if they were from Him. Thank you for that.

Failure is hard, and I know I've experienced more out of fear than anything. How exciting about your business. I hope we get to see some of your work. I love to create, so I'm excited to see your work.

Have a great day.
Carol

Susan said...

Hey Susan,

This was great!! The book sounds awesome. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Hope you have a super blessed day♥