Saturday, November 29, 2008

Running Blindly

Yes, I actually prepared, cooked, served, ate, and survived my turkey! So did the rest of my family! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and I hope that y'all did, too! I absolutely loved the comments from my previous post on the ways you celebrated the day and the Bible verse that you were most thankful for. Thanks for sharing.
We began Thanksgiving Day with....a run!! Are you surprised? Hubby and I had already been up an hour or so with that silly turkey! An early morning run with a dozen other runners out in the country got the juices going! The sunrise was lovely. The conversation was fun. And the little boy who got separated from his mom was precious. When you start in the dark, and you're running in a new place--not me, the little boy!--it's easy to get caught up with the runners in front of you. You simply follow their lead. We all started together, and those running 5 mile loop turned down a road to get back to the YMCA. The rest of us kept on running the longer loop. This child was running a fast pace with some of the runners doing the longer route. On a long stretch toward the end of the run, Robin and I caught up with him--now walking. He had a side stitch--gotta hate those!-- and had slowed down. We told him that he was doing a great job for such a long distance--8 miles. Well, at that, he jerked up his little head, and his eyes filled with tears. His mouth quivered as he spoke. He said that he was only doing 5 miles, and his mom was right behind him. Robin and I looked at each other and realized that his mom had turned off with the others, and he was so far ahead that she thought he would be waiting for her in the parking lot. Not!
Y'all, our Mama hearts just broke with him. Bless his heart! He was running blindly--just trying to keep up with the runners in front of him. How many times in our daily routine do we"run blindly?" We're just trying to keep up with all of the things on our to-do list. We're trying to keep up with the latest and greatest stuff. We're trying to do things that the world deems important. We crowd out time with God to get the other important stuff done. In Titus 2:12, we see that we are taught "not to live against God nor to do the evil things the world wants to do. Instead, that grace teaches us to live in the present age in a wise and right way and in a way that shows we serve God." (New Century Version). Are we serving Him the way He desires--with our whole hearts? Is spending time with Him at the top of our to-do list?
Long story short, Robin and I ran with the little fellow to the next road where a "mama mini van" was headed toward us. A woman driver was waving, and the little boy said, "That's my mom!" She pulled over and lavished him with hugs and kisses. A simple mistake, but one that neither of them will forget. A nine year old needs to run with an adult on a course like the one we did. If the mom had asked who was running which distance and had paired him up with someone who ran his pace, things would have been fine. In the end, the mom and the son were simply giving thanks that they had found each other. How fitting a way to start their Thanksgiving holiday.

Many Blessings,

17 comments:

Kelly said...

That story makes my heart hurt a bit. My daughter is 9 yrs old, and if I lost her, even for 1 minute I would go bezerk! I'm so glad you were there to encourage him. I've told my child if she is ever lost to find a mom to help her.

You turned the story into a great analogy and one we can all learn from. Enjoyed it greatly. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

Paula V said...

What a wonderful story, Susan. Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you had such a wonderful day.
Love,
Paula

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..you began Thanksgiving with a run????wow...you inspire me. I started Thanksgiving with stuffed french toast!
-sandy toes

Gotta Run..... said...

You did it... and now you are officially Mrs. Betty Crocker!! LOL!!! Love the photo and the early a.m. run. That sweet little boy was just too much. Glad we came along when we did.

See you for the run tomorrow.

GO TIGERS!

Edie said...

Oh my goodness what a story. I can feel the fear in both of them. I'm so glad you were there for that dear little boy. Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving too. :)

Joyful said...

Well, God certainly placed you in this little boys life. I'm sure his Mom was very thankful for you.

Your turkey looked amazing! I actually cooked a turkey today and had my family over to celebrate Thanksgiving. Officially, we celebrated Thanksgiving over a month ago, but I wanted to join in the fun with my American friends, so we celebrated again!!! Always have much for which to give thanks.

Thankful that God had you run by and touch my life too! :o)

Love & prayers,
Joy

Kimberly said...

Great analogy! I know there are so many times I run ahead of God...getting myself into way more than I can handle! And just a side note...I couldn't even handle a 5 mile run, let alone an 8 mile run!!! :)

I came by here earlier, but naptime was over at my house before I could comment! :) Thanks for your tremendously encouraging comment!

Blessings, sweet Susan!

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

That's a beautiful story, Susan!
I wish you were near my daughter who is training for her first marathon.

Just to have her near a godly woman that shares her interest would be wonderful. She has pushed the faith aside in favor of a life of liberal academia (6 years at a major liberal University will do that).

If you read this, I would love for you to contact me. Maybe you could encourage her on her running blog and perhaps she could see that my Christian sisters are not "strange and archaic". She's at the wise old age of 24 going on 25 just married, living in CA and she knows so much.

Blessings to you!
Teri

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

p.s.

My husband Mark is a marathon runner as well. He's run in 3 this year - Knoxville, TN, Baltimore, and Richmond, VA.

He and my daughter are going to run in San Fransico at the end of July.

Blessings,
Teri

Yolanda said...

How incredible!

I can't imagine running 5 miles much less 8!

On Purpose said...

Turkey Bags are truly an amazing thing! yeah for your first turkey!

Vickie said...

What a story. thank God they were reunited with each other.

Good to hear you had a wonderful thanksgiving.

blessings,
vickie

Shanita Waters said...

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. there are so many lessons that could be learned from that story and so many things to be thankful for - especially the fact that we aren't running blindly.

Blessings!
Shanita

Sharon Sloan said...

Hey! You (and the turkey) look great! Sounds like a wonderful day.

Now, this boy story is tugging on my heart. Oh, I feel the heartache of him being separated from his mom. Wow....the Lord put you right there to guide and comfort him. God is good!

Happy December, Susan! :)

Joy Junktion said...

You are just toooo cute!
Yipee for your turkey and good health!! hehe

Boy little boy ~ That must have been scary for him ~ so glad God placed you in his path.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and praying for me.
I am doing fabulously well.

Cindy

Amy said...

What a story to start the day with. I am so glad you shared it. We have to keep our focus on our Heavenly Father and let Him lead us in the way He would have us to go. Blessings.

Pinkshoelady said...

Hey Girl,
I cooked my first Turkey this year too...It turned out yummy!

I loved the story. I could feel his anxiety ands I didn't have to imagine too hard to feel his mom's!

The analogy struck home with me.
I soooo sometimes try to keep up with others or compare my run with theirs.
I just need to keep pace with God He alone knows the course and just how far and fast I should run.

Thanks so much! I needed that today most of all!

Pamela