Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sweet Shot Tuesday

What a busy few weeks! I just want to thank you all so much for your sweet words and prayers for me and my family. Your love has been a joy to hold close to my heart.

We've been keeping with the routines of school and work and meetings and track--which is winding down very soon. Graduation from high school is right around the corner, and if I start that now, I'll need a box of kleenex! So, we're not going there yet! Mercy!

What IS on my heart right now is a mission trip that our family is going to be taking in July! With everything that has been going on, I was in the middle of planning a family vacation to Oregon this summer. It's a beautiful place, and the boys had some ideas of what they wanted to do (sand surf, eating,  rock climbing, eating, running trails, eating, seeing where legendary runner Steve Prefontaine ran, eating, etc.! ). Well, three weeks ago while hubby was out of town working, the Lord whispered to his heart. Not mine, but his! I received a phone call asking "What if instead of doing Oregon, we did the church mission trip to Peru?" I was actually silent--hard to imagine, but true! I was trying to get a grasp on this "new thing" while still working on plane reservations to fun and adventure. Well, God, in His perfect timing and wisdom, is growing this mission trip in my heart and the hearts of my boys. The day after Mama passed away, we were told at church that our family was "in!" There were enough spaces left. So tonight, we will attend our first Peru Mission Trip planning meeting.

Sweet friends, I would appreciate your prayers as we prepare our hearts for this wonderful opportunity. We will be in a place called Kimo which is over the Andes Mountains! There is a 10 hour bus ride after we land in Lima to get to the mission area. I will be finding prescription drugs for bumpy bus sickness! We will be helping to build an orphanage for street boys. As I gather more info, I will share it with you all. I am still in "trying to take it all in mode!" We are trying to get the long form of birth certificates so we can secure passports so we can go! Those cute little birth certificates that they send you after the birth of your babies is only good for soccer and baseball sign-ups! The little man at the post office will not accept them when you want to apply for the passport! Trust me! This is all new to this little gal who rarely travels! But, God has a plan, and I can't wait to watch as it unfolds.

I'm linking up with Sweet Shot Tuesday this morning. Come join us and enjoy some lovely pics today.  I also have a new blog! It's attached to my photo website under susanhoodphotography.com. Hop over and visit when you can. I did a shoot with a 12 day old and her beautiful family last week.

Sweet Blessings,

17 comments:

North Jersey Christian Writers Group said...

Dear Susan,
I'm so excited for you. My kids have been going on short-term mission trips since they were 12. And we did a few family mission trips too. Truly life changing. God is so good as He uses us for His kingdom work.
Blessings,
Susan
ps - my son is running the NJ marathon on May 1st. We're all excited!

Leah Adams said...

So excited for you! I have two sets of friends who are missionaries in Peru. The need there is huge. They just had elections for their President on Sunday and the outcome could hugely impact whether missionaries are allowed to remain.

Keep us updated and I'll be praying for you.

Gotta Run..... said...

So hard to pass up a mission trip when you know how much good it is doing. What did the boys think?

Starting "offical" track work this week. Wish me luck! ;)

Unknown said...

Lovely spring bloom!

Sharon Sloan said...

Beautiful picture Susan!

And will be so excited to read about your missions trip and all the Lord does in everyone's hearts and lives!!!

Hugs,
Sharon

Yolanda said...

WOW, isn't it amazing, STILL, at how God works??!!

Love you and continue to pray-

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Amazing how God is working in your life!

And about the bumpy bus ride...when our daughter was about five years old she started getting extremely sick and would throw up everytime we took her anywhere in the car. Someone told us about Ginger capsules you can buy in Walmart. I started giving her 2 capsules about 10 minutes before time for us to get in the car and it totally stopped her car sickness. Even on the few times when we forgot and she started to feel really sick I could give it to her and she would feel better in 10 minutes. You might want to try that. Just a thought.

God bless you!

Marilyn

Empty Nest Full Life said...

How exciting! You still continue to be in my prayers. God's timing is always perfect and He will bless your willing heart. Jackie

SouthernSass said...

Very exciting Susan!! I just know you will love it and I will pray for you and your family. Keep us posted!

Susan said...

Beautiful picture Susan, and oh my...

I'm really excited about your upcoming mission trip!! Yes Lord♥

Anonymous said...

Lovely sweet shot! I understand about graduation. It's just now starting to feel like it! Will be praying for your family during your mission trip. Perfect for a student getting ready to go to college. In my experience, it will help him take that education more seriously! Be blessed!

patty said...

beautiful shot, again!, and i'm so jealous about your mission trip! pls post tons of photos and writings on it! can't wait!
xo

KelliGirl said...

Susan,
You know my heart for missions and I'm so happy to hear that you're going on one this summer.

Mission trips have been a huge blessing to Dan and I and our kids. My kids are so hooked that they refuse to take a summer vacation if it means they can't go back on the summer mission trip to the DR!

I pray that all the details will fall into place! This is so exciting.

Love and prayers,
Kelli

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I love this photo, Susan. And I love that your family will be taking this trip together this summer. I imagine your hearts to be enlarged because of it. A good way to send the boy "off."

I know this will be a hard few weeks for you; no one prepares a mother for the "letting go." It will get better; I promise.

Prayers to you, friend.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

And about the bumpy bus ride...when our daughter was about five years old she started getting extremely sick and would throw up everytime we took her anywhere in the car. Someone told us about Ginger capsules you can buy in Walmart. I started giving her 2 capsules about 10 minutes before time for us to get in the car and it totally stopped her car sickness. Even on the few times when we forgot and she started to feel really sick I could give it to her and she would feel better in 10 minutes. You might want to try that. Just a thought.
Cheap Flights to Xiamen
Flights to Xiamen
Xiamen Flights

radhe said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Very informative content and I enjoyed reading your blog keep it up.
seychelles Holiday Packages
Cheap seychelles Holidays
seychelles Holidays

Veer said...

Nice blog. Interesting information.
This looks like a very nice place! I liked it so much and very interesting, too! Thanks for sharing the experience.

<Nairobi Holiday Packages
<Cheap Nairobi Holidays